Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our member services department via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the member services department. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you. We will not post, or will take down, any comments we find that contain abusive or hateful language.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- We do not tolerate plagiarism, copyright infringement, the impersonation of another, defamation, or any language that advocates or incites violent or illegal acts. Nor do we tolerate harassment or any behavior that violates the Authors Guild Policy/Statement of Conduct
- Everything posted in the community should stay in the community. You must get consent from the owner of any material or posts if you would like to reuse it outside of the community.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- We do not allow advertising or solicitation, such as advertising one's publications or business.
- By posting a comment, you agree that you are fully responsible for what you submit, just as you understand that we are not responsible for any user-submitted content, and that the views and opinions expressed by users of this community are not those of the Authors Guild itself.
We understand that people may inadvertently violate the rules, and we will not immediately ban someone from the community following a single violation. Rather, The Authors Guild follows a graduated enforcement policy for these guidelines.
First Violation-A written notice is sent to the member who violates the guidelines.
Second Violation-A written notice is sent to the member who violates the guidelines. The individual’s Community account is put into moderation so that messages from his/her account are reviewed before they are posted online.
Third Violation-The member's Community access is suspended for six months.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
- Last but not least, we ask you to refrain from using that Caps Lock button—no shouting here.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of Authors Guild. Authors Guild is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by Authors Guild or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall Authors Guild be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants Authors Guild and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
Authors Guild does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of Authors Guild we will take all appropriate action.
Authors Guild reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
Authors Guild Blog Comments Participation Guidelines
The following rules apply specifically to comments posted to any Authors Guild blog post. We welcome all points of view in our blog comments and encourage all commenters to freely express themselves. That said, we request that all discourse in the blog comments be kept respectful and civil. To that end, we require all blog participants to comply with the following guidelines:
- We do not permit abusive language; we will not post, or will take down, any comments we find that contain abusive or hateful language.
- Bear in mind that this is a public blog. As such, do not post another’s personal information without consent or otherwise violate another’s privacy. Likewise, don’t post any thoughts, ideas, or personal information about yourself that you do not want made public.
- We do not tolerate plagiarism, copyright infringement, the impersonation of another, defamation, or any language that advocates or incites violent or illegal acts.
- We do not allow advertising, solicitation, or links to outside websites to be posted.
- Last but not least, we ask you to refrain from using that Caps Lock button—no shouting here.
By posting a comment, you agree that you are fully responsible for what you submit, just as you understand that we are not responsible for any user-submitted content, and that the views and opinions expressed by users of the Website are not those of the Authors Guild itself.
The Authors Guild retains the right to remove any content that does not conform to these guidelines and to deny further access to the Website to any person who posts such content.
The Authors Guild requires that all uploads of content to the Website by any member of the Guild (each, a “Member”) or any person whose membership is pending (each a “Pending Member” and collectively with all members and pending members, the “Members”) primarily focus on the Member’s authorship, literary works and/or issues pertaining to the writing life and business of writing. All information, text, graphics, photographs, messages, or other materials ("Content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted through the Website are the sole responsibility of the person who posted or transmitted the Content on or through the Website. This means that the individual Member or Pending Member, and not the Authors Guild or the Website, is entirely responsible for all content that is uploaded in the appropriate portals to the Website, including the Events Calendar, and the Members Directory. The Authors Guild does not monitor or otherwise control the content uploaded by Members or Pending Members via the Website or any part thereof, and accordingly, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content. Under no circumstances will the Authors Guild or the Website be liable in any way for any content, including but not limited to any errors or omissions in any Content uploaded by Members or Pending Members, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any content posted, uploaded or otherwise made available on the area of the Website members are permitted to upload information to.
Prohibited Actions by Members and Pending Members
Members and Pending Members shall not use any part of the Website to:
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, or invasive of another’s privacy;
- harm minors in any way;
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, the Authors Guild Website or staff, or to falsely state or otherwise misrepresent Member’s or Pending Member’s affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through the Website;
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any content that the Member or Pending Member does not have the right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships, or under nondisclosure agreements);
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;
- upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of solicitation, except in those areas (such as shopping rooms) that are designated for such purpose;
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- interfere with or disrupt the Website or any part thereof, or the servers or networks connected to the Website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website, or access or attempt to access password protected secure or non-public areas of the Website;
- violate any applicable local, state, national or international law;
- "stalk" or otherwise harass another person; or
- upload, post, email, transmit, change settings or otherwise make available any material that can jeopardize the security of any Authors Guild server.
Members and Pending Members will use the Website in a manner consistent with all applicable State and Federal laws. The Authors Guild will make no effort to control, monitor or restrict the content uploaded of data other than as required by law or delete or edit comments or postings that do not comply with this Copyright Policy. The Authors Guild will be the sole and final arbiter as to what constitutes a violation of the above terms and conditions.
Intellectual Property Rights
Members and Pending Members acknowledge that the Authors Guild, Inc. owns all copyright, title and related interests in and to the Website, including all copyright and other intellectual property rights therein (the “Authors Guild Rights”), other than any Content posted by Members, which shall remain the property of the Member or Pending Member who posted such Content, or other owner thereof. Each Member and Pending Member who posts or transmits Content on or through the Website hereby grants to the Authors Guild the right and license to display, distribute and/or perform the Content on the Website or as indicated. Each Member and Pending Member agrees that he or she will not (i) copy, reproduce, alter, modify, or create derivative works from materials contained on the Website (ii) use any robot, spider, other automated device, or manual process to monitor or copy any content from the Website.
It is the Authors Guild’s policy to respond to notice of alleged copyright infringement in compliance with Section 512 of the Copyright Act, enacted as part of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) and other applicable laws. If you are a copyright owner or an agent of a copyright owner, and you believe that any content or link on our websites www.authorsguild.org or www.authorsguild.net (collectively, the “Website”) or any portion of the Website, including the Events Calendar, the Members Directory, or any other pages on the Website infringes upon your copyright, you may submit a notice to the Authors Guild’s designated DMCA copyright agent. Please provide our copyright agent with the following information, as required under Section 512(c) of the U.S. Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. § 512(c)): an electronic or physical signature of the copyright owner or of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed; a description of the location on the Website (i.e., the URL) of the material that you claim is infringing ; your address, telephone number, and email address; a written statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf. Any notification by a copyright owner or a person authorized to act on such copyright owner's behalf that fails to comply with the requirements of Section 512 of the Copyright Act shall not be considered sufficient notice and shall not be deemed to confer upon us actual knowledge of facts or circumstances from which infringing material or acts are evident. Our copyright agent for notice of claims of copyright infringement can be reached as follows:
Name: Cheryl L. Davis
Address: The Authors Guild, Inc., 31 East 32nd Street, 7th Floor, NY, NY 10016
It may be advisable to consult your legal advisor before filing a notice with our copyright agent. You should note that there can be penalties for false claims under Section 512 of the Copyright Act.