How do I register my domain name with the Authors Guild?
Fill out the online domain name registration form on our Website.
What does it mean to register a domain name?
The Authors Guild holds the domain names you've chosen for future use by any website hosting service you choose.
How much does it cost?
By registering domain names in bulk, the Authors Guild can offer its members a deep discount at $18 per year for .com, .net, .org, and .info domain names.
Can you advise me on how to choose a domain name?
Here are some things to consider before deciding on a domain name.
- Many authors simply choose to reserve their entire name or pseudonym JudyBlume.com, JamesMichener.com).
- Some authors may find that their last name is available (Pogrebin.com).
- Authors with fairly common names may find that their name is unavailable. They may choose to use a middle initial or make another appropriate change (byNickTaylor.com) or they may reserve a .net domain name (NickTaylor.net), a .org domain name (NickTaylor.org), a .biz domain name (NickTaylor.biz) or a .info domain name (NickTaylor.info).
- Authors may choose to reserve a title or series domain name as well (TheMagnificentAmbersons.com, MagicTreeHouse.com).
Domain names may be up to 67 characters total (including the suffix).
- Domain names are alphanumeric and may use a "-" (hyphen). The hyphen cannot be used at the beginning or end of a domain name. Other punctuation cannot be used in a domain name.
What is the advantage of registering my domain name with the Authors Guild?
By reserving through the Authors Guild, you protect your privacy, since our name and contact information will appear in all public records (we'll change that information at any time you'd like).
I already have a domain name listed with another registrar. Can I move it to the Guild's registrar?
Yes; you may transfer your domain name to the Guild if you'd like.
After You've Registered Your Domain Name
I have a website. How can I assign my domain name to my site?
To use your domain name for a website, it has to be assigned to the nameserver of your website hosting company. You will need the primary and secondary nameservers to "move" your domain name to your web host. This is a routine matter – your web host can provide you with its nameservers. A typical nameserver is in the form ns1.authorsguild.net.
How long does it take for the domain name assignment to take effect?
It takes up to 72 hours for the assignment to take effect once we have received and processed your request.
How do I check the status of my domain name?
To view the officially registered information for any domain, please check www.domaintools.com.
Why should I renew my registration with the Authors Guild?
By renewing your domain name registration with the Authors Guild, you will continue to receive benefits exclusive to our members.
Please fill out the online form to renew your registration with the Authors Guild.
Whom do I contact with questions regarding my domain name?
For more information about domain names, please contact us at email@example.com.