Student Membership provides resources, information, and community to college and graduate students dedicated to the pursuit of a writing career.
Writers face unique challenges in today’s publishing environment. On one hand, there are fewer barriers to entry than ever before. On the other, it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. A career as a writer is difficult to build, and the publishing industry can seem intimidating and unwelcoming.
Student Membership gives student writers access to many of the resources that the Authors Guild provides, such as marketing and social media advice, as well as seminars, workshops, and networking opportunities developed exclusively for writers at the earliest stages of their careers. Additionally, students who join the Authors Guild support our tireless advocacy for the rights of authors, helping to preserve a sustainable future for themselves as the next generation of writers.
IS IT RIGHT FOR YOU?
The Student Membership category is for college and graduate students enrolled part-time or full-time who are interested in pursuing writing professionally in the future.
Student Membership is $35 per year.
By joining as a student, you are making an investment in a lifelong commitment to your writing, starting today.
BENEFITS OF STUDENT MEMBERSHIP
- SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS & EVENTS: You’ll be invited to free seminars, panels, and social gatherings around the country throughout the year, so you can stay connected and up-to-date on the business and legal sides of writing, including seminars and panels.
- MEMBER PROFILES: Connect with your fellow Authors Guild members. Create your own profile to introduce yourself and keep up with the latest from other members.
- MEMBER RESOURCE LIST: Our member resource list features directories, listings, and organizations that may be useful to authors, including copyright, publishing, publicity, and agent information.
- MEDIA LIABILITY INSURANCE: Through our partnership with AXIS PRO, members can get a discount on media liability insurance, which protects against claims of libel, invasion of privacy, copyright/trademark infringement, plagiarism, and errors & omissions.
- EVENTS CALENDAR: Members can add their readings, book signings, and other literary events to the Authors Guild events calendar, as well as browse the calendar to find interesting events in their area.
- FACEBOOK GROUP: You’ll be invited to our private Facebook group for Student Writers, where you can share freelance opportunities, contests, and calls for submissions, as well as get advice from your peers, and find readers and advocates for your work.
- MEMBER DISCOUNTS: Members receive exclusive discounts on services and goods designed to help you with your writing business, as well as on hotels, other associations, journal subscriptions, JSTOR, and more.
- THE WRITERS’ RESOURCE LIBRARY: Membership includes access to the Writers’ Resource Library, with articles, forms, and other resources to help you find and work with an agent, self-publish, pitch your book, understand what to expect from your publisher, work with book stores, maximize speaking engagements, create a reader following, and so on.
- MARKETING AND SOCIAL MEDIA RESOURCES AND ADVICE (coming soon): The Guild provides resources to guide you through the process of selling your book to readers, agents, and publishers. The first thing many agents and publishers ask nowadays is “What’s your platform?” The Guild will advise you on establishing a blog, a website (we can even build and host it ourselves), and a presence on social media. And when your book comes out, we’ll show you how to find the right marketing experts and publicists to help you find readers.
The Guild supports its members through every step of their journeys. As students grow as writing professionals, they may upgrade their membership to reflect their changing status. Emerging Writer Membership includes additional benefits, such as low-cost web services, while Full Membership—available once you have a contract offer from an established publisher or agent, or earn significant writing income—allows writers to take advantage of contract reviews and other legal services.