Regular Membership is designed to provide resources, information, and community to professional writers, translators, and book illustrators.
Writers face unique challenges in today’s publishing environment. On one hand, there are fewer barriers to entry than ever before. On the other, a career as a writer is difficult to build, and even for a published author, the industry can at times seem overwhelming and confusing.
Whether you freelance, publish with a major or small publisher, or self-publish your work, we offer services—from contract reviews to media liability insurance to social media advice—that can help you at every stage of your professional career. Writers of all stripes contribute to the diversity and open discourse that make art a vital part of our community.
By joining the Authors Guild, you also support our tireless advocacy for the rights of your fellow authors, helping to preserve a sustainable future for every writer.
IS IT RIGHT FOR YOU?
Regular Membership is a voting category open to traditionally published authors with at least one book published in the U.S., self-published authors who have made at least $5,000 from their writing, and freelance writers who have published at least three pieces in publications with editorial oversight (print or online).
Ghostwriters, illustrators, poets, and translators can qualify for this category on the same basis as authors.
(Not right for you? See other membership categories here)
Regular Membership is $135 per year (or $12/monthly with an annual commitment).
If you have additional questions about the application process, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions to see if your question or concern has already been addressed.
As a member of the Authors Guild, you are making a commitment to both your writing and your writing community.
BENEFITS OF REGULAR MEMBERSHIP
- LEGAL HELP: Our staff attorneys review domestic book contracts, agency contracts, and freelance agreements at no additional cost! We also advise on a host of literary legal concerns such as reversion of rights, fair use, piracy, defamation and privacy issues, copyright, nonpayment of royalties, and more.
- MEDIA LIABILITY INSURANCE: Through our partnership with Dinghy/NSM Insurance group, members can get affordable media liability insurance, which protects against claims of libel, invasion of privacy, copyright/trademark infringement, plagiarism, and errors & omissions.
- IFJ PRESS PASSES: Members can apply for two-year IFJ International Press Cards. Press Cards provide working journalists with an instant form of identification as a professional journalist committed to ethical standards and solidarity between media professionals.
- WRITERS MARKETPLACE: The Writers Marketplace allows members who have unique skills and experience in the publishing industry to promote their services to other members and to the general public.
- SUPPLEMENTAL HEALTH INSURANCE: Our partnership with LIG Solutions provides members with concierge services to identify and obtain the best ACA healthcare solution as well as dental, vision, critical care, or other supplemental insurances that you may need.
- SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS, & EVENTS: We host educational webinars and in-person panels throughout the year. Topics include marketing, financial literacy for authors, paths to publication, contracts, and more.
- THE BULLETIN: The Authors Guild Bulletin is our biannual publication covering the latest in publishing and legislative news and featuring interviews with published authors, transcripts of panels, essays on the writing life, member news, and more.
- WRITERS’ RESOURCE LIBRARY: Membership includes access to the Writers’ Resource Library, with articles, forms and other resources to help you find and work with an agent, self-publish, pitch your book, understand what to expect from your publisher, work with book stores, maximize speaking engagements, create a reader following, and more.
- REGIONAL CHAPTERS: Our regional chapters allow our members to connect with each other across the country and foster local community. Chapter ambassadors put together a variety of events throughout the year including meet-and-greets, potlucks, panel discussions, and readings, so that members have more opportunities to engage in person with other writers.
- MEMBERS COMMUNITY: The Members Community is a meeting place and a forum for discussion. From conversations about craft, to discussions about the business of writing and industry news, our online community allows authors to connect from the comfort of their homes.
Already a Member? Access your Benefits.