Writers face unique challenges in today’s publishing environment. On one hand, there are fewer barriers to entry than ever before. On the other, a career as a writer is difficult to build, and even for a published author, the industry can at times seem overwhelming and confusing.
Whether you freelance, publish with a major or small publisher, or self-publish your work, we offer services—from contract reviews to media liability insurance to social media advice—that can help you at every stage of your professional career. Writers of all stripes contribute to the diversity and open discourse that make art a vital part of our community.
By joining the Authors Guild, you also support our tireless advocacy for the rights of your fellow authors, helping to preserve a sustainable future for every writer.
IS IT RIGHT FOR YOU?
Regular Membership is a voting category open to traditionally published authors with at least one book published in the U.S., self-published authors who have made at least $5,000 in the past 18 months from their writing, and freelance writers who have published at least three pieces in publications with editorial oversight (print or online) or who have made $5,000 in the past 18 months.
Associate Membership is a non-voting category open to writers who have received a contract offer from a traditional U.S. publisher or an offer of representation from an agency, as well as self-published authors and freelance writers who have made at least $500 in the past 18 months from their writing.
Ghostwriters, illustrators, poets, and translators can qualify for either category on the same basis as authors.
(Not right for you? See other membership categories here)
Professional Membership is $125 per year.
As a member of the Authors Guild, you are making a commitment to both your writing and your writing community.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
- LEGAL SERVICES: Professional members are entitled to legal services, which include contract reviews and expert advice from our staff attorneys on topics such as copyright, termination, ebook rights, compensation, and more.
- SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS, & EVENTS: As a member, you’ll be invited to free seminars, panels, and social gatherings around the country throughout the year, so you can stay connected and up-to-date on the business and legal sides of writing.
- WEB SERVICES: Members of the Authors Guild have access to various web services, including website hosting, domain name registration (free for new members their first year), personalized e-mail accounts, and our website-building platform.
- MEMBER PROFILES: Connect with your fellow Authors Guild members. Create your own profile to introduce yourself and keep up with the latest from other members.
- MEMBER RESOURCE LIST: Our member resource list features directories, listings, and organizations that may be useful to authors, including copyright, publishing, publicity, and agent information.
- THE BULLETIN: The Authors Guild Bulletin is our quarterly publication covering the latest in publishing and legislative news and featuring interviews with published authors, transcripts of panels, essays on the writing life, member news, and more.
- MEDIA LIABILITY INSURANCE: Through our partnership with AXIS PRO, members can get a discount on media liability insurance, which protects against claims of libel, invasion of privacy, copyright/trademark infringement, plagiarism, and errors & omissions.
- EVENTS CALENDAR: Members can add their readings, book signings, and other literary events to the Authors Guild events calendar, as well as browse the calendar to find interesting events in their area.
- FACEBOOK GROUPS: You’ll be invited to our private regional Facebook groups, where you can share freelance opportunities, contests, and calls for submissions, as well as get advice from your peers, and find readers and advocates for your work.
- MEMBER DISCOUNTS: Members receive exclusive discounts on services and goods designed to help you with your writing business, as well as on hotels, other associations, journal subscriptions, JSTOR, and more.
- THE WRITERS’ RESOURCE LIBRARY: Membership includes access to the Writers’ Resource Library, with articles, forms, and other resources to help you find and work with an agent, self-publish, pitch your book, understand what to expect from your publisher, work with book stores, maximize speaking engagements, create a reader following, and so on.
- MARKETING AND SOCIAL MEDIA RESOURCES AND ADVICE (coming soon): The Guild provides resources to guide you through the process of selling your book to readers, agents, and publishers. The first thing many agents and publishers ask nowadays is “What’s your platform?” The Guild will advise you on establishing a blog, a website (we can even build and host it ourselves), and a presence on social media. And when your book comes out, we’ll show you how to find the right marketing experts and publicists to help you find readers.