The Emerging Writer Membership is designed to provide resources, information, and community to writers—young and old—who are in the early stages of their careers.
Writers face unique challenges in today’s publishing environment. On one hand, there are fewer barriers to entry than ever before. On the other, a career as a writer is difficult to build, and the publishing industry can seem intimidating and unwelcoming.
The Emerging Writers Membership gives writers access to almost all of the resources that the Authors Guild provides, including free or discounted services such as marketing and social media advice, media liability insurance, website hosting, as well as seminars, workshops and networking opportunities that have been developed exclusively for emerging writers. Additionally, writers who join as members support the Authors Guild’s tireless advocacy for the rights of their fellow authors, helping to preserve a sustainable future for every writer.
By joining as an Emerging Writer, you are making an investment in a lifelong commitment to your writing, starting today.
IS IT RIGHT FOR YOU?
The Emerging Writer Membership is open to all dedicated writers who are actively seeking to publish their work, but have not yet published a book and do not meet the income thresholds for full membership.
This level of membership was developed to include writers in earlier stages of their careers in our growing community of almost 9,000 members. As the oldest and largest writers’ organization in the United States, the Authors Guild provides lifelong support to writers nationwide, as they move through the many stages of their careers, from finding an agent, to their first book contract, to negotiating royalties, through building and preserving their written legacy.
The Emerging Writer Membership is $100 per year. Emerging writers seeking a contract review or legal services should apply for Professional Membership.
If you have additional questions about the application process, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions to see if your question or concern has already been addressed.
We offer services to span your entire professional life--whether you write for traditional publishers or publish on your own. We’re your Guild, and we’re here to help you.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP
- SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS, & EVENTS: As an Emerging Writer member, you’ll be invited to free seminars, panels, and social gatherings around the country throughout the year, so you can stay connected and up-to-date on the business and legal sides of writing, including seminars and panels developed specifically for Emerging Writers.
- WEB SERVICES: Members of the Authors Guild have access to various web services, including website hosting, domain name registration (free for new members their first year), personalized e-mail accounts, and our website-building platform.
- MEMBER PROFILES: Connect with your fellow Authors Guild members. Create your own profile to introduce yourself and keep up with the latest from other members.
- MEMBER RESOURCE LIST: Our member resource list features directories, listings, and organizations that may be useful to authors, including copyright, publishing, publicity and agent information.
- THE BULLETIN: The Authors Guild Bulletin is our quarterly publication covering the latest in publishing and legislative news and featuring interviews with published authors, transcripts of panels, essays on the writing life, member news, and more.
- MEDIA LIABILITY INSURANCE: Through our partnership with AXIS PRO, members can get a discount on media liability insurance, which protects against claims of libel, invasion of privacy, copyright/trademark infringement, plagiarism, and errors & omissions.
- EVENTS CALENDAR: Members can add their readings, book signings and other literary events to the Authors Guild events calendar, as well as browse the calendar to find interesting events in their area.
- FACEBOOK GROUP: As an Emerging Writer Member, you’ll be invited to our private Facebook group for Emerging Writers, where you can share freelance opportunities, contests, and calls for submissions, as well as get advice from your peers, and find readers and advocates for your work.
- MEMBER DISCOUNTS: Members receive exclusive discounts on services and goods designed to help you with your writing business, as well as on hotels, other associations, journal subscriptions, JSTOR, and more.
- THE WRITERS’ RESOURCE LIBRARY: Membership includes access to the Writers’ Resource Library, with articles, forms and other resources to help you find and work with an agent, self-publish, pitch your book, understand what to expect from your publisher, work with book stores, maximize speaking engagements, create a reader following, and more.
- MARKETING AND SOCIAL MEDIA RESOURCES AND ADVICE (coming soon): The Guild provides resources to guide you through the process of selling your book to readers, agents, and publishers. The first thing many agents and publishers ask nowadays is "What's your platform?" The Guild will advise you on establishing a blog, a website (we can even build and host it ourselves), and a presence on social media. And when your book comes out, we’ll show you how to find the right marketing experts and publicists to help you find readers.
Already a Member? Access your Benefits.