The Emerging Writer Membership is designed to provide resources, information, and community to writers—young and old—who are in the early stages of their careers.
Writers face unique challenges in today’s publishing environment. On one hand, there are fewer barriers to entry than ever before. On the other, a career as a writer is difficult to build, and the publishing industry can seem intimidating and unwelcoming.
The Emerging Writers Membership gives writers access to almost all of the resources that the Authors Guild provides, including media liability insurance, website hosting, educational seminars, networking opportunities, exclusive discounts, and more. Additionally, writers who join as members support the Authors Guild’s tireless advocacy for the rights of their fellow authors, helping to preserve a sustainable future for every writer.
By joining as an Emerging Writer, you are making an investment in a lifelong commitment to your writing, starting today.
IS IT RIGHT FOR YOU?
The Emerging Writer Membership is open to all dedicated writers who are actively seeking to publish their work, but have not yet published a book and do not meet the income thresholds for full membership.
This level of membership was developed to include writers in earlier stages of their careers in our growing community of 10,000+ members. As the oldest and largest writers’ organization in the United States, the Authors Guild provides lifelong support to writers nationwide, as they move through the many stages of their careers, from finding an agent, to their first book contract, to negotiating royalties, through building and preserving their written legacy.
The Emerging Writer Membership is $100 per year (or $9/month with an annual commitment).
If you have additional questions about the application process, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions to see if your question or concern has already been addressed.
We offer services to span your entire professional life--whether you write for traditional publishers or publish on your own. We’re your Guild, and we’re here to help you.
BENEFITS OF EMERGING WRITER MEMBERSHIP
- AUTHOR WEBSITES: Members of the Authors Guild have access to various web services, including website hosting, domain name registration (free for new members their first year), personalized e-mail accounts, and our website-building platform.
- MEDIA LIABILITY INSURANCE: Through our partnership with AXIS PRO, members can get a discount on media liability insurance, which protects against claims of libel, invasion of privacy, copyright/trademark infringement, plagiarism, and errors & omissions.
- WRITERS MARKETPLACE: The Writers Marketplace allows members who have unique skills and experience in the publishing industry to promote their services to other members and to the general public.
- SUPPLEMENTAL HEALTH INSURANCE: Our partnership with LIG Solutions provides members with concierge services to identify and obtain the best ACA healthcare solution as well as dental, vision, critical care, or other supplemental insurances that you may need.
- SEMINARS, WORKSHOPS, & EVENTS: As an Emerging Writer member, you’ll be invited to free seminars, panels, and social gatherings around the country throughout the year, so you can stay connected and up-to-date on the business and legal sides of writing, including seminars and panels developed specifically for Emerging Writers.
- THE BULLETIN: The Authors Guild Bulletin is our biannual publication covering the latest in publishing and legislative news and featuring interviews with published authors, transcripts of panels, essays on the writing life, member news, and more.
- WRITERS’ RESOURCE LIBRARY: Membership includes access to the Writers’ Resource Library, with articles, forms and other resources to help you find and work with an agent, self-publish, pitch your book, understand what to expect from your publisher, work with book stores, maximize speaking engagements, create a reader following, and more.
- REGIONAL CHAPTERS: Our regional chapters allow our members to connect with each other across the country and foster local community. Chapter ambassadors put together a variety of events throughout the year including meet-and-greets, potlucks, panel discussions, and readings, so that members have more opportunities to engage in person with other writers.
- MEMBERS COMMUNITY: The Members Community is a meeting place and a forum for discussion. From conversations about craft, to discussions about the business of writing and industry news, our online community allows authors to connect from the comfort of their homes.
The Guild supports its members through every step of their journeys. As emerging writers grow as writing professionals, they may upgrade their membership to reflect their changing status. Associate and Regular Memberships—available once you have freelance work, a contract offer from an established publisher or agent, or earn significant writing income—allows writers to take advantage of contract reviews and other legal services, as well as press passes.
Already a Member? Access your Benefits.