The Authors Guild is seeking an experienced full-time Senior Writer/Journalist who will be responsible for overseeing all of its outward-facing communications, including press releases, web content, and social media. This position reports to the CEO and works closely with the COO and the rest of the Communications team to develop and execute communication plans. The Senior Writer/Journalist will also serve as the editor of the Authors Guild Bulletin, the Guild’s quarterly publication.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Live in New York, Connecticut, or New Jersey
- Write and/or edit web content, blog posts, articles for our Bulletin, social media, media materials, op-eds, talking points, text for video and podcasts, speeches, and presentations.
- Lead strategic thinking on the Guild’s editorial needs and messaging.
- Provide editorial oversight for the Bulletin.
- Regularly review and make recommendations for updates to the Guild’s website.
- Write and edit op-eds and features for outside publications.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience writing and editing, ideally including for nonprofit or advocacy purposes.
- Verbal communications skills; ability to communicate with staff at all levels within the organization and with external media contacts and other organizations.
- Collaborative work skills and an ability to operate under pressure and within short deadlines.
- Advanced journalism and investigative reporting skills.
- An ability to find and craft attention-getting, in-depth, vibrant, and well-organized narratives; and to meet deadlines.
- A track record of graceful writing that demonstrates meticulous attention to detail and a rigorous adherence to the highest standards of accuracy and fairness.
- Expertise with digital content, blogs, websites, and in communicating via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media.
About the Authors Guild
The Authors Guild has served as the collective voice of American authors since its beginnings in 1912. Its approximately 12,000 members include novelists, historians, journalists, and poets—traditionally and independently published—as well as literary agents and representatives of writers’ estates. The Guild is dedicated to creating a community for authors while advocating for them on issues of copyright, fair contracts, free speech, and tax fairness. Please visit www.authorsguild.org.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.