All of our lives have been upended in unprecedented ways, but the Guild is here for you and working harder than ever to support those of you who have been impacted by COVID-19. This section of our website collects details about government economic relief, needs-based funding, and our various programs and initiatives in response to COVID-19. We hope you will find this information useful, and we will continue to email regular updates on further developments.
Here is some of what the Authors Guild has been doing to help authors during the crisis:
· Lobbying Congress for clarifications for the CARES Act Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program so that freelance writers and authors are covered.
· Advocating for additional support for authors at the state and local levels.
· Leading the #SupportAuthors social media campaign to help promote books with spring publication dates.
· Creating how-to videos for authors on the use of online tools to connect with readers and market their books.
· Offering a COVID-19 series of webinars about obtaining CARES Act relief.
· Engaging with publishers, book sellers, and others in the industry to determine how we can work together to best support authors.
· Assisting authors who have not been paid money owed them, or whose contracts have been otherwise violated or suspended.
· Keeping authors informed on the matters that affect them most.
We also conducted a few questionnaires of our membership, and found that almost half of the 1,000 respondents had lost some income as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. You can find a summary of the first survey here, and a summary of the second survey here.
Support for New Books
#SupportAuthors Social Media Campaign
The Authors Guild has launched a social media campaign to help authors with books coming out during the lockdown. Learn how to participate in the #SupportAuthors campaign here.
Webinars to Help Authors During COVID-19
To help with some of your most immediate concerns, the Authors Guild is hosting live webinars on topics of particular interest in these times, including how to conduct online book tours and market your books online.
Government Economic Relief and Grants for Authors
COVID-19: Unemployment Benefits and Loans Under the CARES Act
A summary of benefits that you may qualify for under the $2 trillion Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (“CARES”) Act, which was passed on March 27.
Grants and Funds for Writers in Need
The Authors League Fund, Freelancers Union, Dramatists Guild, Artist Relief all provide options to assist independent workers experiencing financial hardship as a result of the coronavirus.
U.S. Copyright Office Procedure Changes
The Copyright Office has revised some rules regarding deadlines and use of the U.S. Mail, as described here.
Resources and Information
The Writers’ Resource Library
The Authors Guild has an array of resources for writers at all stages of their careers. With these tools and resources, you’ll be able to build and better manage a long and successful writing career.
Additional Industry Resources
We are continuing to round up information and resources from the publishing industry that you might find useful when creating your own digital content to promote your work and connect with readers.